- WHAT’S THE STORY behind the closure?Following the recent spike in COVID-19 cases, the Ministry of Health (MOH) is enforcing stricter social distancing measures with effect from 26 March 2020, 2359H, to curb local transmissions. We have explored various options such as mapping out the usable space and facilities in each club and put in the necessary social distancing measures to reduce the impact on your fitness regime. However, to further safeguard the health of our members and staff amidst the evolving situation, we have chosen to close all our Fitness First clubs beginning 26 March 2020 at the close of business hours. At this stage, we plan to resume operations on 5 May 2020 (subjected to government regulations).
- IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO DO TO APPLY THE COMPLIMENTARY FREEZE TO MY MEMBERSHIP?No, during the temporary closure, all memberships will be automatically frozen for FREE for the period of 27 March 2020 to 30 April 2020. The dues you have paid from 27 March 2020 to 30 April 2020 will automatically be credited towards your membership dues for May.
- WHAT IF I ALREADY REQUESTED FOR A FREEZE FOR APRIL PRIOR TO YOUR ANNOUNCEMENT?We will automatically waive the freeze fee applicable at the time you requested to freeze your membership. As your freeze fee is yet to be paid you will not be charged this on the 1st of April 2020.
- HOW DO I CONFIRM THE REOPENING OF FITNESS FIRST SINGAPORE?
- WHAT IS FITNESS FIRST SINGAPORE DOING TO HELP MEMBERS TO STAY ACTIVE?To help you continue your fitness journey during this closure, we will be launching a new series of virtual group fitness classes from Fitness First Singapore, and will continue to share online workouts and content from our other sister brands around the region for our members to enjoy in the comfort of their homes. These classes can be accessed via our social media pages. Alternatively, you may contact your personal trainer for exercises that you can do at home. We strongly recommend that you remain active at home and incorporate at least 30 minutes of exercise every other day to keep your immunity strong.
- What has Fitness First been doing to mitigate the health risks?
Given that the Ministry of Health (MOH) has stepped up their risk assessment to DORSCON (Disease Outbreak Response System Condition) Orange, we have taken additional precautionary measures to ensure the health and safety of all our members, guests and staff alike, in all Fitness First clubs across the island. We have:
- Stepped up the frequency of cleaning and wipe downs of our equipment and surfaces.
- Provided hand sanitisers and anti-bacterial sprays for member, guest, and staff use.
- Implemented mandatory staff travel declarations.
- Implemented temperature checks and travel declarations for members and guests upon entry to clubs – anyone recording a temperature above 37.5oC or is experiencing flu-like symptoms such as coughing, runny nose and sore throat will be declined entry.
- Mandatory temperature checks for staff twice daily.
- Increased communications to staff and members to educate them about the virus.
- Empowered our General Managers and club teams to monitor guests and members who, if exhibit any flu-like symptoms or seem unwell, to politely ask them to leave the premises and seek immediate medical attention.
We have also implemented additional control measures to maximize personal space between everyone with effect from 20 March till further notice:
- Group Fitness class capacity will be reduced to enable social distancing
- All booking of classes will be strictly via Class Booker
- Staff will be advised to avoid physical contact with members and guests when appropriate. Correction of movement and/or posture will be done verbally or through demonstrations
- All team-based Group Fitness classes and other non-essential club events will be cancelled. Please refer to Class Booker for more information.
- All steam rooms and saunas will be closed
We encourage you to bring your own boxing gloves, aerial yoga hammock, yoga mat, water bottle, towel and/or workout attire for personal hygiene purposes. We regret to inform you that we will cease providing boxing gloves and aerial yoga hammocks from 1 April onward.The safety and well-being of our members, guests and staff remain our utmost priority during this global pandemic. We encourage you to stay healthy and active during this time and urge all members to observe good personal hygiene, maintain good gym etiquette and be socially responsible. It is a collective effort to keep yourself, your loved ones and everyone safe.
- What can members do to help?
Keeping the gyms safe and clean for everyone requires a collective effort from all of us. We seek your cooperation in adopting the following precautionary measures in order to safeguard public health and safety:
- Observe good personal hygiene and practice frequent handwashing with soap
- Wear a mask and seek medical attention promptly if you are feeling unwell and refrain from working out
- Cover your mouth with a tissue paper when coughing or sneezing, and dispose the soiled tissue paper in the rubbish bin immediately
- Maintain good personal hygiene and practice good sweat etiquette by placing towels on equipment and mats before use and wiping them down thoroughly after use
- Return your used towels and attire into the bin
- Currently, are there any confirmed cases within our Fitness First community?Till date, we have not received any information on whether any of the confirmed cases are Fitness First members.
- What will Fitness First do if there are any confirmed cases in close proximity to our clubs?For the safety of our members and guests, we have taken the necessary precautions and closed the club for a thorough disinfection by an NEA-appointed agency. Should the confirmed case be a Fitness First member, all staff and members who had close contact with him will be asked to stay home to monitor their condition and to seek medical attention if unwell. In the meantime, we continue to do our part to mitigate the any health risks by continuing the increased frequency of cleaning and sanitising of equipment and spaces, making hand sanitisers and disinfectants readily available for both staff and members, and working closely with the building management.
- What if a member is a carrier that is asymptomatic (no symptoms shown)?
We would like to reiterate our advice to all members, guests and staff to adopt precautionary measures and observe good personal hygiene at all times. On our part, we have implemented a number of measures including increased frequency of cleaning and sanitisation at our clubs, providing additional hand sanitisers for all members and staff, and educating staff on hygiene and cleanliness best practices.The necessary control measures are put in place to ensure the health and safety of our members.
Many buildings where our gyms are located are conducting mandatory temperature checks along with health and travel declarations on the ground level. For members using the remaining gym locations which are not doing mandatory checks by the building management, temperature screenings will be done within the gym facility upon entry at club reception. This will apply to both members and visitors. Our own staff will also be required to undergo temperature checks twice daily.
In addition to updates on our social media channels, we are also sharing information and updates to address concerns of members and employees in real time.We are closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation, and will adjust our response in line with MOH guidelines, in the best interests of our members and employees.
- Why did Fitness First implement a temporary freeze on the International Fitness Passport?
Following the World Health Organisation’s declaration on 11 March describing Covid-19 as a pandemic, we regret to inform you that we will be implementing a freeze on International Fitness Passport usage for the time being, both in-bound and out-bound. Our clubs will stop issuing International Fitness Passports at Front of House, and members will be declined entry at clubs overseas. Rest assured that we did not make this decision lightly, though after consulting with various relevant bodies with more authority and insight on the matter, this temporary measure is in everybody’s best interest.
While the International Fitness Passport is a complimentary benefit, we acknowledge that this news may be disappointing to some. We apologise for the inconvenience and request your understanding as to our proactive stance; we look forward to advising when International Fitness Passport privileges can be restored.
- Does this freeze also apply to Australia and the Middle East, where we currently have reciprocal arrangements?We have been in touch with our counterparts in those countries, and await their reply with regard to allowing our members access to their clubs. However, as we are declining their members access, we feel that this will also be the case for our members.